momentumx.com and DoiT International
Migration to Amazon Web Services
MomentumX commissioned DoiT international to assist with assessment of the migration business case, review the migration plan and assess risks.
In addition to the primary objective for a complete migration to Amazon Web Services, DoiT International assisted on reviewing the existing documentation and aligning the migration plan across all key stakeholders.
During the initial consultancy, DoiT International worked with various different parts of the business to understand how each of them needs to interact with the infrastructure and continue to deliver value to MomentumX. There were some key considerations for DoiT International when considering the best architecture, including:
- Highly secure systems with minimal exposure to the outside world
- Reduce/remove Single Point Of Failure
- High Availability infrastructure
- Scalable infrastructure to cope with demand during busy periods
- Ensure that there were little to no systems that are underutilised
- Ensure that scheduling could be utilised that had no operation impact to MomentumX.
- Reduce costs of running the cloud infrastructure
As MomentumX’s is an internationally recognised brand, in a hugely competitive market, reputation management was a key point that all departments were keen to impart, DoiT International needed to ensure that the proposed systems in place were:
- Operational Excellence
- Cost Optimization
- Performance Efficiency
MomentumX is now able to utilise and benefit from the latest advances in AWS for their continued development of their infrastructure allowing them to remove the constraights that were present in the previous incarnation.
Once DoiT International had completed the initial review phase, it was time to document and implement the action plan agreed with the customer. DoiT International performed multiple Architecture review sessions to ensure the stakeholders were aligned with the recommended changes that were also focused on gaining the best benefit in modern cloud based architecture running on Amazon Web Services. Additionally since the onboarding to DoiT International and subsequent migration, MomentumX has benefited from DoiT’s unique unlimited zero cost support, consulting and training provision.
AWS Services Used
MomentumX solution consisted of a number of key AWS Services to be able to deliver the required outcomes from the Architecture meetings carried out. Some of the key services utilised in the migration were:
- Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
- Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute
- Elastic Load Balancing
- Amazon Elasticache
- Amazon Relational Database Service
- Amazon Simple Storage Service
- Amazon DocumentDB
- Amazon CloudWatch
- Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes
Working with the customer on the current implementation and documentation we were able to establish a number of areas where we were able to change the customers design and deployments to align with the following:
- Run the security workshops
- Provide best practises for Backups and recovery
- Provide best practises for Configuration Management, Patching and Automation
- Provide best practises for Tagging and Costs Management
- Assisted with planning the Account structure and IAM to provide an appropriate Landing Zone design
- Provide bests practises for advanced Monitoring and Logging
- Provide ongoing support in the operational elements of the migration to Amazon Web services
- MomentumX managed to cut their Cloud monthly running costs by 20% straight after the migration and constantly optimised it
- MomentumX was able to simplify their solution and benefit from accessing the wider job market to acquire talents with AWS experience